Permit/Application Forms

home improvement
Building, Safety & Zoning Forms
*Payments are acceptable in the form of cash, check made payable to "City of Watertown", or card.  For payments with cash or check, please provide a copy of the online permit so we know which permit to apply the payment to.  Card payments can be submitted in person, over the phone at 920-262-4060, or by clicking HERE for online payment information. Once fees have been processed in our office, we will ensure you receive a copy of the approved and paid permit.

We encourage you to call our office at (920) 262-4060 prior to beginning any project to verify the necessity of a permit.  Please plan ahead!!  Many permits can be issued the same day. Other permits (i.e. building permits, fence permits, pool permits, etc.) require review by one of our inspectors.  Due to limited staff and inspection hours, we highly suggest turning in all paperwork at least 1 week prior to the date you would like to begin a project.  All permits are good for 1 year from the date they are issued.

Address Change Request Form

Basement Finishing - please note this will also require a Building Permit

Additions or Alterations will require a building permit application form (either Residential or Commercial) as well as separate permits for any electric, HVAC, and plumbing if included in the scope of the work.
Building Permit Application - Commercial (also reference Building Permit Information

Building Permit Application - Residential  (also reference Building Permit Information)  

Building Permit - New Home Application  ***Please note that erosion control measures must be put into place for new residential construction. Information on this can be found by clicking HERE.

Burglar Alarms/Robbery Alarm Information and Paperwork - handled through the Clerk/Finance Department 

Certified Survey Map (CSM) *Note - Requires Staff Review*

Chickens Permit  please note that this also requires a Building Permit (also reference Building Permit Information)

Complaint Form  For more information on Code Enforcement in the City of Watertown, please click here.

Comprehensive Plan Amendment Requests - Checklist for Comp Plan Amendments

Conditional Use Permit OR Successor Conditional Use Permit *Note - Requires Staff Review* Checklist for Conditional Use Permit Requests

Curb Cut Permits

Decks: Please click here for the regulations and please click on this link for the residential building permit

Demolition Permit

Egress Window and Exit Information *Note* if installing an egress window it will require a Residential Building Permit Application 

Electric Permit *
Please note that any address that starts with a letter (i.e. W6980) is outside the city limits and does not fall within our jurisdiction.

Erosion Control and Stormwater Runoff Permit

Exhaust/Hood System Permit

Fence, Landscape Walls & Decorative Posts  Permit - Rules and Regulations 

Filling of Land Permit

Fire Alarm System *separate from the Fire Suppression Permit*

Fire Suppression Permit  *separate from the Fire Alarm System*

Floodplain Information

Food Vending on Public Streets


HVAC Permit *
Please note that any address that starts with a letter (i.e. W6980) is outside the city limits and does not fall within our jurisdiction.

Landscape Permit Application (to be submitted to the Street Department

Mobile Food Vending

Moving a garage or house (Not needed to move a small garden shed *Contact our office at 920-262-4060 if you have any questions)

Occupy the Right of Way (Placing of any item in the street or sidewalk right of way)

Outdoor Dining/Sidewalk Cafe Application

Plan Commission Application **Note** Requires staff review

Planned Unit Development (PUD) Request  **Note** Requires staff review - Checklist for PUD

Plot Plan/Site Plan Information for Plans

Plumbing Permit *
Please note that any address that starts with a letter (i.e. W6980) is outside the city limits and does not fall within our jurisdiction.

Pool Permit **Note** Requires staff review


Records Request

Refund Policy

Registration of Vacant & Foreclosed Buildings - Commercial

Registration of Vacant & Foreclosed Buildings - Residential

Rezoning *Note - Requires Staff Review* - Checklist for Rezoning Requests

Roofing - there is not a permit required for the removal of old roofing and replacement of new. However, if a dumpster is being utilized and that dumpster is sitting in the street, blocking the sidewalk, or sitting within the public right of way, please note that a Permit to Occupy the Right of Way will be required. If a dumpster is within the private property area (i.e. a driveway or the yard area not encroaching within the public right of way), no permit is required.


Sidewalk Permit

Sign Permit - for a permanent sign

Site Plan Review Requests **Note** Requires staff review - Checklist for Site Plan Review Requests

Site Plan Review Application **Note** Requires staff review

Solar Panel Installation

Stairs *also requires a building permit (see application above)

Successor Conditional Use Permit Application Form

Temporary Sign Permit **Per Ordinance #21-43 adopted on December 21, 2021, there is no longer a permit requirement for temporary signs. However, they must not be placed within the right of way (ROW) and they must be set back from the property line in a location equal to the height of the sign (i.e. a 5-foot tall sign must be set back 5 feet from the property line).

Utility Accommodation Permit

WE Energies Clearance Requirements

Windows - If replacing a window in the same size and location, no permit is required. If the size and/or location is being altered, a building permit will be required.

Zoning Board of Appeals Application Form

Please be sure to:

*Locate your property stakes before starting your project.  If you can not locate, please contact a land surveyor for assistance.
*Contact Diggers Hotline  800-242-8511 before digging
*Be sure to check for any deed restrictions / subdivision covenants before starting work.
*Check for any easements that would be on your property.  These easements will require a minimum setback from the easement.

*Please note that payment is accepted in the form of cash, check made payable to "City of Watertown", or credit card . Please note that there are additional fees apply with credit card payments as detailed by clicking HERE.

Doc app

Document Center

The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.

Categories always sorted by seq (sub-categories sorted within each category)
Documents sorted by SEQ in Ascending Order within category